Thursday, January 10, 2013

Pretty Jelly "Glamorous Thief" Holographic Polishes: Grape Escape and Diamond S-teal-er


You may know Liz Park from her blog Liquid Jelly, but as of November 2012, Liz opened up an Etsy shop and began selling her own nail polish line called Pretty Jelly. Her debut collection was holiday themed glitters and now Liz's second collection, Glamorous Thief, takes a more daring direction and tackles a concept many indie polish makers don't dare attempt: hand-making truly holographic polishes! I have two polishes from the Glamorous Thief collection to share with you and I think you are going to LOVE them.

Diamond S-teal-er


Diamond S-teal-er is an incredible light aqua polish that flashes a rainbow of linear holo goodness. This shade of aqua is absolutely stunning - it reminds me of an inviting swimming pool or tropical waters. It reminds my boyfriend of the Little Mermaid. I found the brush on the narrow side, but the formula was impressively wonderful. I did not encounter any of the formula issues that can typically plague holos such as patchiness or streakiness. Diamond S-teal-er was opaque in (2) coats.

light box, no flash

halogen lamp, no flash

automatic setting, flash

automatic setting, flash

taken with iPhone 5, direct sunlight

I have nothing remotely close to Diamond S-teal-er. The only polishes that comes to mind are China Glaze DV8, which looks bluer and darker, or Glitter Gal Blue, which is light but is also missing the green. While not holographic, Zoya Zuza may be similar in color from what I've seen.

Grape Escape


Grape Escape is a vivid silvery lavender that reveals linear holographic particles in sunlight and in some indoor lighting. Like Diamond S-teal-er, the formula was wonderful and the polish flowed evenly and freely. One thin coat covered impressively well but I used (2) coats for an opaque finish.

light box, no flash

halogen lamp, no flash

automatic setting, flash

taken with iPhone 5, direct sunlight

Grape Escape reminded me of OPI DS Original. DS Original is a bit more "blingly", but the formula is much thinner, not to mention it's no longer available and stinks of a non-big-3 free polish.

light box, no flash

Sorry I forgot to label this photo, but the order is the same as the picture above: DS Original is on my pointer and ring fingers. Grape Escape is on my middle and pinky fingers.

automatic setting, flash

Wearing a top coat slightly de-intensifies the holo in indoor lighting, but this wasn't a difference my camera was able to pick up (I tried!)

I have nothing but great things to say about these holos and highly recommend them! Choosing to hand-make holographic nail polish is quite a ambitious goal, and Liz created a remarkable collection I think even the pickiest holo lover will approve of. I would never know this was an "indie" polish as the quality is that of my best mass-produced holos.

Grape Escape and the rest of the Glamorous Thief holographic polishes by Pretty Jelly retail for $10 (full sized - 15mL) or $5 (mini - 6mL) each and can be purchased on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/PrettyJelly. Liz writes: "All polishes are made with great care and are 3 Free and cruelty free! Glitter polishes are made with solvent resistant glitter that do not bleed. We also use stainless steel mixing balls; full size contains two, minis contains one."

For updates on new colors and collections, follow Liquid Jelly on Facebook and Twitter (@liquidjelly76).

Product(s) in this post were provided for review. Read my disclosure policy here.

22 comments:

  1. both are gorgeous but that Diamond S-teal-er is incredible!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really something special, isn't it!

      Delete
  2. Wow! The Diamond S-teal-er one is insanely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color is just stunning, and the holo.... sigh! Amazing!

      Delete
  3. Wow these are gorgeous!! I love Liz's blog, but I had no idea she hand makes polishes too! So much talent. I really love Diamond S-teal-er - it makes me want to go on a vacation to an exotic island somewhere haha. I think I'll have to check out her Etsy shop. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is tropical water blue! Glad to introduce her line to you :)

      Delete
  4. the second color is the best... I relly like it on direct sunlight :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The holo is really great and quite distracting in sunlight lol

      Delete
  5. live both of these holos! might have to invest in more holographic nail polish! thanks for the great swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness... I think I may need to buy these...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. Liz did such a great job with these :)

      Delete
  8. These are amazing! I just LOVE Diamond S-teal-er - it's gorgeous! Those holos are out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love the colors she chose for this collection!

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness! I love this!I need the Grape Escape. What an excellent choice for fashion, style, a bit of impracticality yet I want want want! 2013 is full of beautiful trends that I like and I am looking forward to wearing! Thanks for this great post! Keep it up girl!
    Sincerely,
    Cherelynn
    http://makeupuniversity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherelynn, purple holo is such a must have - nothing impractical about it lol ;)

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks, Deborah! Liz made some beautiful polishes :)

      Delete