Tuesday, January 29, 2013

New from Revlon! "Girly": an Indie-Inspired Glitter Polish


Revlon has made a noticeable effort over the past few years to keep up with the changing nail polish trends in an attempt to dominate the retail nail polish scene. While notable polishes such as Perplex, Carbonite, Whimsical, and Facets of Fuchsia had us stalking the shelves of every drug store in a (50) mile radius, these colors were hardly originals and instead were very literal copies of high-end polishes. It appeared that Revlon was just riding the wake of latest "it" nail polish instead of making waves in the industry.

This winter, Revlon added the indie nail polish-inspired glitter Girly to their ever-growing collection. With Girly, Revlon has shown they can successfully draw inspiration from a trend instead of blatantly duplicating a popular nail polish!


Girly


Girly is a mix of light & dark lavender and pink hexagonal glitter pieces densely packed in a milky cool-toned light pink base. There are even some holographic glitter gems mixed in! Girly gives you the look of a baby shower on your nails glitter sandwich manicure with only needing one polish. While Girly isn't a one (or even two) coat polish, it doesn't really make a great glitter top coat because the base color still gives a decent wash of color. Also, the glitter in Girly looks best "buried" under several layers! You may, however, want to layer it over a polish close to the color of the milky base color to give yourself a solid foundation.

Girly isn't a polish you will want to apply like a normal polish. While the glitter is plentiful and easy to pull from the bottle, I found myself dabbing and globbing and brushing the glitter on in a cross-hatch motion so I could spread it out evenly across my nails. I also suggest leaving a little extra drying time between coats - the base color is slightly on the thick side. Below I am wearing (3) coats of Girly with (1) coat of Gelous on top to smooth out the glitter.


This is the first appearance of Gelous on Gotham Polish :) I learned from several bloggers that Gelous, while intended to be a base coat, functions even better as a glitter tamer worn over your polish and under your fast drying top coat. Not being a fan of lumpy glitter, I trust what you ladies had to say and am pleased with the results.

Here is Girly pre-Gelous. Every edge of glitter is sticking up! I think Gelous really makes a difference and gives glitter nail polish a smooth and glassy finish.


I applaud Revlon for taking note of and embracing the milky glitter trend. Bonus points for thinking outside the box and creating an indie-esque shade without directly copying anyone this time. I hope Revlon keeps bringing us more unique shades in 2013!

I bought Girly at my local Bed Bath & Beyond for just under $4. I also saw it at Walgreens for $5.99. Right now, Girly may be difficult to track down but hopefully it will transition to the permanent collection and be more accessible.

26 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Polishes like this have me excited to see what Revlon comes up with in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, but I also hope they aren't going to be hard to find ;)

      Delete
  2. I just had this in my hand the other day and couldn't decide, ended up leaving it. This post just totally sold me, and now I have to go back. Pretty photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it takes a few times checking out a polish before I'm able to decide to purchase it! I totally support your informed decision making :)

      Delete
  3. I just bought Girly today. I cannot wait to wear it. It's such a pretty polish and very unique too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay hope you love wearing it! It definitely made me smile every time I looked at my nails :)

      Delete
  4. i like the layering effect you got! i've seen this polish and others like it and i think it's really cool how the indie brands are now being copied by the "major labels" ;) isn't that how it always is?! very nice photos as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, e! Smaller brands often look to the big brands to guide the way, but I love what's happening in nail polish land where the indie brands are the rock stars of innovation!

      Delete
  5. Your swatches have made me love this polish! I had been resisting it before, but now I realize that I want it in my collection. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. It definitely made me smile every time I looked at my nails :)

      Delete
  7. That is so... girly :-). I like it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Hopefully you don't have too much trouble tracking it down!

      Delete
  9. Great, ANOTHER drug store polish I have to go psycho over! Looks like I'll be visiting every Walgreens in a 20 mile radius again! It's Whimsical all over again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I *think* Girly is going to be permanent! Hopefully you won't have to drive all over looking for it!

      Delete
  10. I've been looking for this one wherever Revlon is sold, but I haven't had any luck yet! I can't wait to pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good news! People have been seeing this color popping up in the permanent displays. I'm glad about that because now I have time to decide if I really want it or not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo that IS really good news! I agree, sometimes I need to "visit" a polish a few times before deciding if I really need it or not.

      Delete
  12. Glad to know its going on the permanent display! this polish looks amazing but I bet like any glitter, its a pain to remove

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um... yah it totally is :) But, it's quite awesome looking!

      Delete