Sunday, December 23, 2012

Inspired By: Lord & Taylor Holiday Windows 2012


The windows of Lord & Taylor are packed full of detailed miniatures depicting different holiday scenes. There is so much to look at in each window!

This scene may look familiar to fellow New Yorkers - it's the Central Park Zoo! There were even seals leaping out of the water :)

  

The window I chose as inspiration depicts a fabulous party inside an apartment that may have been inspired by the clock tower penthouse apartment in Brooklyn.




Try as I did to find another (aka easier to create) inspiration, I could not get the the silhouette image of the clock against the dusky blue sky out of my head. Once again I attempted a manicure that is way beyond my abilities and attempted freehand nail art.

blue: Cirque Tibetan Nights | black: Wet & Wild Black Creme

Hey that's not too bad! I admit that I do not have any real nail art brushes. I have a set of what are essentially children's paint brushes - the kind you get at any big-box craft store - that comes in a plastic bag and one of the brushes is a sponge on a stick. I picked the smallest one and hoped for the best. Let me know if you have a recommendation for nail art brushes :)

PS - Isn't Tibetan Nights the perfect dusk sky blue color? The glitter even looks like the stars. I bought this beauty at one of the markets Cirque was at and highly recommend it. LOVE it!

See more pictures of Lord & Taylor's holiday windows...









13 comments:

  1. I love your clock silhouette mani. I think you did an amazing job with one of those awful brushes. I have no brush recommendations because I have yet to try any freehand work. Too daunting a task for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pepper! It IS a daunting task, but I think with the right tools it would be less daunting :) PS I am always blown away by the freehand work I've seen on blogs! Amazing stuff!

      Delete
  2. I have a set of nail art brushes that I ordered from Nail Polish Canada, Berkeley is the brand name. They work well. I also have a few brushes I bought at an art supply store. Just buy regular brushes for watercolour painting. Not the sable ones (too expensive!) but the synthetic ones. I got some 0/5 sized ones for fine detail and I like them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That turned out really pretty! Also reading your post made me really wanna add Tibetan Nights to my collection, such a pretty colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great polish - something about those glitter flecks really takes it to the next level! It's a jelly so you do need 2-3 coats, but that lets the glitter really sink in but still show through.

      Delete
  4. Lord & Taylor were my favorite windows!!! I love your design!!
    I got a nail art brush set from mash, it has more than I ever going to use and I think I paid $10 at their website ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation for the brushes!

      Delete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing the beautiful photos of the Christmas decorated windows at Lord & Taylor. Wow! The pictures are amazing and so is your nail art! You did a great job capturing the feel of the windows in your manicure. Now, what is the top coat that you used to get such a high shine or is that a reflection from the camera flash? Either way-I love the look of both your nails and the windows! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cherelynn! You are giving me motivation to do more freehand nail art! For top coat, I used Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat. I didn't have the flash on in this photo - I have my hand right up next to a light bulb, so you're seeing the bulb reflected on my nails :)

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Tibetan Nights is THE night sky colored polish to have :)

      Delete
  7. Pretty interesting post! Thanks it was interesting. click here

    ReplyDelete