Friday, November 30, 2012

Pearly Whites


I was in the mood this week for an opaque white manicure, but didn't want my nails to look like I had painted them with white out. Duri Moonlight Glow, a milky white sheer polish with a pearly blue glow, was just the right polish to satisfy my craving! Two coats of Moonlight Glow gave Sally Hansen Hard As Nails Hard As Wraps White Tip On a really neat blue flash (that was quite challenging to photograph) and kept this opaque white manicure from looking like I had done my nails in my locker between 6th and 7th period. Moonlight Glow also looks great over black.


Do you have a go-to one coat white nail polish? Is there a white nail polish equivalent to Wet & Wild Black Creme? Sally Hansen Hard As Nails Hard As Wraps White Tip On is my whitest-white, but it is hardly a one-coater. It's not terribly streaky, but it is a globby mess, not a one coater, and the brush is too long. It isn't often that I reach for a white polish, but it makes for a great base and if I had one that I loved, I'd create more white based manicures.

Speaking of pearly whites, I just finished whitening my teeth...

Much like that feeling of having newly polished nails, flashing a bright smile can make you feel confident. I received Crest® 3D White Professional Effects Whitestrips to review from Influenster and after completing all 20 days of whitening, have results worth talking about :) I had used Crest 3D White Whitestrips Vivid (the 10 day kit) a few years ago and was definitely overdue for another round of whitening my smile, so I was especially interested to see how the the Professional Effects version compared.

So did it work? Yes! After wearing the strips for 30 minutes a day for 20 days, my teeth are visibly whiter. I did notice an improvement after only a few days. However, I didn't find that the Professional Effects whitened my teeth any more than the 10 day, less expensive Crest 3D White Whitestrips Vivid version did.

Where the Professional Effects Whitestrips rock is in the application. I found that the strips of the Professional Effects stayed on well and didn't slide around on my teeth. It actually took a little effort to remove them! Even though I had a decent amount of sticky residue to remove after taking the strips off, the way they stay on is a huge improvement over the Crest 3D White Whitestrips Vivid strips I had used years ago.

I developed some teeth sensitivity while using this product and took a few days off toward the end of the 20 days to let my teeth recover. Now that I'm finished, I still have some dull pain - mostly in the front teeth - and notice it most when drinking cold water and breathing in the winter air. This should improve over the next few days and I read it isn't permanent.

I would use the Crest® 3D White Professional Effects Whitestrips again, however I would only use half of the 20 day supply at a time. I didn't really notice much of a difference in whitening after the first 10 days and this would also reduce the sensitivity for me.

Now I should really work on whitening my nail polish stained nails...

Crest® 3D White Professional Effects Whitestrips retail for over $50, but I saw them on Amazon for $28. For more information, visit http://www.3dwhite.com/. Have you tried them?

I received Crest® 3D White Professional Effects Whitestrips complimentary from Influenster. I received Duri Moonlight Glow for review. Read my full disclosure policy here.

8 comments:

  1. I like using Milani's White on White. It's not the whitest white though, but I think that makes it more wearable. It's opaque and 2 coats and easy to use. Or else I use a white from Pure Ice. It came in those vinyl remix duos and is a pure white. Easy to use and opaque in 2 coats. I don't know of any 1 coat whites though.

    And moon glow looks so soft and pretty. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo thanks for sharing, both are super affordable options! I love shimmery top coats like Moonlight Glow, they can be worn lots of ways.

      Delete
  2. This is such a lovely polish! I love a white nail, but I hate it when it looks like white-out! This one is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moonlight Glow is really the saving polish here :) Without the blue glow, I think it would look too bright white!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Oops that's what this is called! Why did I think it was called White Tip lol!!!

      Delete
  4. Pearly/iridescent white is my favorite nail look! I use OPI my boyfriend scales wall (which is not 100% white, and it's an easy two coater) or OPI Alpine Snow. In general I prefer white jellies, but you have to be patient to do three or four coats (OPI Funny Bunny, Essie marshmallow, rbl bella.... Lol i have more)...
    I love how the Duri gave it that pearly effect, very wintery!!
    I would love to try a whitening system like that, but my teeth are very sensitive and I'm scared!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look so good on you - I loved your look with DL True Blood Fairy Dust (I think that was what it was called!)

      Delete