Thursday, October 18, 2012

butter LONDON Holiday 2012: Jack The Lad


In British slang, Jack the Lad is "an irresponsible young man seeking personal pleasure with regard to responsibilities". As part of butter LONDON's 2012 holiday collection, Jack the Lad is a STUNNING blackened evergreen polish with gold, turquoise, and green micro shimmer. This "bad boy" is certainly going to get a lot of attention this holiday season!

I've seen deep, dark polishes with flashy shimmer before, but they usually leave me disappointed. You know, the ones that look gorgeous in the bottle with all the shimmer clinging to the side but then it doesn't show up on the nail? I bet you can think of a few polishes like that. Jack the Lad, however, delivers the goods and that fantastic complex shimmer dazzles on the nail.


The formula is sheer but not runny. I used (3) coats because I noticed some bald spots after (2) coats. I wish the formula were a little more opaque, but I think it's the sheerness that lets the layers of shimmer shine through. Jack the Lad dries a little gritty and slightly matte so I added one coat of Butter's Hardwear P. D. Quick top coat (review) to smooth it out and add shine.


The photos in the light box picked up a lot of the blue tones. In this next photo with flash you can see the mossy evergreen hue better:


This is an expensive looking polish, don't you think? I simply adore it!

The Holiday 2012 lacquer collection includes Fiddlesticks, Scuppered, Jack the Lad, Fairy Cake, and Scallywag. butter LONDON polishes retail for $14.

In New York City, my favorite retailers of Butter products are C.O. Bigelow, Ricky's, and now Henri Bendel. There are many more! Here is a list of retailers in New York City that carry Butter nail polish.

Product(s) in this post were provided for review. Read my disclosure policy here.

30 comments:

  1. Such a Gorgeous colour. Loving Butter London more and more:)
    Sara xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a GREAT color! They keep coming out with real winners :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I love that it's as pretty on the nail as it is in the bottle :)

      Delete
  3. Looks beautiful. Non polish question - what light source do you use for your light box? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have (3) lights - a halogen that shines on top, a 100 watt on one side, and a 75 watt that I point right on the nail. I don't think it matters what kind of bulbs you use as long as you have multiple light sources and adjust your white balance. I'm certainly not an expert and am always looking for ways to improve :)

      Delete
  4. This polish looks great, I like it even better than The Black Knight from last year's Holiday collection. Definitely adding this to my wishlist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea? That's a big compliment for Jack the Lad - Black Knight is AMAZING!

      Delete
  5. I love it! Jack the Lad is already on my WL - and your swatches are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great! I wasn't all that excited at first but now I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh glad I could change your mind about this one! It's awesome!

      Delete
  7. Oh my....!! <3<3 This is so beautiful! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty - looking a bit like Zoya's Logan to me...and I am not a huge fan of BL glittery polishes - I got stuck with some really glue, thick, sticky formulas..and I find their grit/matte end point really annoying - plus I get a ton of super fast chipping with their brand...but cannot pass up the shades and the names...like a love/hate relationship I have going with this brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good eye - I thought of Logan too, but side by side they are not the same hue and finish is different. I will try to do a comparison for you at some point :) These aren't really true glitter particles, not like Black Knight.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. It really has everything us polish fans go for :)

      Delete
  10. This one is on my wish list for sure! Love the color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing, there's really nothing else exactly like it!

      Delete
  11. Love the colour. I bought this colour last month When I was on my holidays.

    ReplyDelete