Saturday, September 1, 2012

Top 5 Fall 2012 Nail Polish Trends


As summer winds down, I hope you head back to school or your job or your "normal" schedule with many memories of a summer well enjoyed. In NYC, the cooler weather is not the only change in the air - there is a noticeable sense of relief as our weekends are no longer jam packed with plans to maximize every free minute of summer!

New York Fashion Week is just around the corner. Next week, all eyes will be looking at the NYC runways to set the tone of Spring 2013. Gosh, 2013.

But let's not get ahead of ourselves and let's focus on fall trends! In nail polish, fall colors are traditionally smoky, sultry, or subdued. But this fall, glowing and glistening polishes take charge and are an integral part of completing the perfect outfit.

I selected five nail polish trends I think are standouts this season. For each trend, I'll share a polish in my collection and a link for you to see some other options! I've also created a Fall 2012 Nail Polish Trends board on Pinterest :)

#5 Saran Wrap Technique (also known as 'Cling Wrap' or 'Antique' technique)
This weathered looking effect looks intricate and deceivingly complicated. Not only is it easy, but the only tool required is something you probably have in your kitchen - saran wrap!

Zoya Monica (plum) with Deborah Lippmann Nefertiti (gold)

Here's a video tutorial from Ivana Thinks Pink!
Let Them Have Polish!
Love. Varnish, Chocolate, and More...
The Nail Polish Project
Oooh, Shinies!

#4 Fall Foliage
What color defines the season better than the rich hues of changing leaves? While the awe-inspiring autumn colors are fleeting, you can admire these polishes long after the leaves have fallen and are swept away.

butter LONDON Shag

Color Club Model Behavior (The PolishAholic)
Jessica Pumpkin Delight (Amandalandish)
MAC Styleseeker (Vampy Varnish)
Orly Flicker (Pictured Tinsel)

#3 Metallic Golden-Green Duochrome
It's no secret that Chanel's Peridot sent shock waves of excitement through the nail polish industry. What's not to love about a metallic golden-green duochrome? This fall, there are many affordable options available so you can enjoy this trend without spending double digits.

GAP Gold Rush

China Glaze Rare and Radiant (NAILTASTIC)
Color Club Editorial (Prim and Polished)
Deborah Lippmann Swagga and a comparison (Lacquered Lover)
Maybelline Boho Gold (Nouveau Cheap)
OPI Just Spotted the Lizard (Polish Infatuated)
Here's some comparisons (All You Desire)

#2 Glowing, Fiery Red
OK, OK - red polish is in season all year. But this fall, glowing and fiery red polish has captured our attention and is undeniably one of the "it" trends right now!

Zoya Elisa

Cult Nails Annalicious (Imperfectly Painted)
CQ All Heart (Rachel Marie's Nails)
OPI Danke-Shiny Red (Nails and Noms)
OPI Die Another Day (Lab Muffin)
Pretty Serious Nightmaren (Scrangie)

#1 Sparkly Pavement
Deep charcoal grey has been a popular nail polish trend this year so it's no surprise that for fall 2012, grey has been kicked up a notch. Dark grey with sparkle reminds me of the glistening streets of NYC and it's my pick for the #1 fall 2012 nail polish trend!


butter LONDON Gobsmacked

CIRQUE Dark Horse (The Polished Perfectionist)
Illamasqua Creator (Ommorphia Beauty Bar)
Milani Gray Tux and a comparison (Polarbelle)
NARS Night Breed (Fashion Polish)
OPI Metallic 4 Life (The Hungry Asian)
Revlon Sparkle Aplenty (Frazzle and Aniploish)

See you over on Pinterest!

Product(s) in this post were provided for review. Read my disclosure policy here.


14 comments:

  1. No metallics? I've still never done a saran wrap mani... Now I need to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't pick the traditional metal metallics (like gold or silver), but polishes like butter Shag, Zoya Elisa, and GAP Gold Rush have a metallicy/foily look to them!

      The saran wrap effect is SO easy and is my new favorite thing :) And it looks much more complicated than it is!

      Delete
  2. Glowing warm reds are always in my top 3 polish favs (maybe even top 2). I have cleaned out my stash many times (thou never had one bigger than it is now)...but comes time to clean out and I can pitch tons but not my reds. I really do love the cling wrap technique - easy and good way to use up some otherwise not too usable shades. Not a fan of all the green-gold - find that to be a very tired look now - kind of in there with all the dupes we had last yr in the purple-gold range (thinking of Zoya Faye and all 'her' counterparts of which I ended up with tons of 'em being I was on a major buy mode last yr.). That 'trend' I could do without. I am on the left coast and yet I get giddy over Fashion Night Out! It was not yet 'a thing' when I lived in VT - not that Vermonters would have ever come down to partake! I surely know from my yrs in VT your reference to that frenzy that takes place end of Aug trying to get all the last of summer projects/things done. Love the autumn leaf polish tones. Looking forward to seeing some Autumn in NY photos here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have many fall pictures to share - took so many last year! It's hard not to keep snapping away. The trees must be amazing in Vermont :) The gold-green duochrome is one of those looks to love or loathe, but I do find the color shift fascinating. I'll be sure to share my FNO adventures!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I love how Gobsmacked looks! Thanks for sharing! I love these trend posts you do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! I bet Gobsmacked would look great on you!

      Delete
  4. This fall is going to be my season! I love each and every one of these trends and am itching to try out the saran wrap finish. But I think fiery reds and sparkly pavement will always be my go to fall/winter shades.

    Thank you so much for sharing my post! I'm always beyond flattered when you do that <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I think you'll love the saran wrap look, I can't believe it took me so long to try it out! I think I have an aversion to anything that could potentially be messy, but it wasn't too bad :)

      Delete
  5. Awesome list! I LOVELOVELOVE the Peridot dupes. I finally got my hands on one and I could happily live in it this fall. I haven't tried a cling wrap mani, but I plan to. Easy and abstract is good. <3 You've totally sold me on Shag... I've been pondering which polishes to get when Ulta has their BL BOGO sale, and now I know! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cling wrap technique is SO easy! The BOGO on Butter is a such a beautiful thing :) Would love to hear which other Butter you pick up!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for mentioning me! :* Means a lot!
    I'm so not a fall type so I think I'll stick to bright and neon colors for sure a bit longer. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Your video helped me learn this technique!

      Delete
  7. Wow the butterlondon colour looks amazing!!

    I just posted my favorite Autumn nail polishes on my blog. Not really trend colours but just one's I love to wear this season. If you want to check it out:
    http://happiness-is-in-the-little-things.blogspot.ch/2012/09/autumn-winter-nail-polish-picks-2012.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent & remarkable post! I have been visiting various blogs for my Thesis writing help. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... vidro autom�vel

    ReplyDelete