Thursday, August 30, 2012

DIY: Peel Off Base Coat


When I read a few reviews of Essence's Peel Off Base Coat, I was super excited. Instead of endless scrubbing with acetone and using an entire bag of cotton balls, you can simply peel off your manicure when you are done? Yes, please! Then I read Peel Off Base Coat is not yet available in the US. Boo. But in my searching, I came across this brilliant DIY from Lab Muffin and simply had to test it out!

Here's the scoop: paint a generous coat of PVA glue on your nails (aka Elmer's), let dry (it will turn from white to clear!), put on glitter polish, and peel it off when you're done. That's seriously it. I encourage you to read Lab Muffin's much more thorough instructions.

 
1. Painting on glue - I used Elmer's Glue-All.  | 2. This is actually a bit too much | 3. Almost dry! | 4. Everything looks normal once glitter polish is applied | 5. Peeling off the polish | 6. All off, except for a bit on the tip where I missed a spot with the glue

It came such a wonderful moment when the glitter polish came off so easily - I was able to slide my nail right under the edge and peel if off. Because it came off without much effort, I'm going to guess that an Elmer's glue-based manicure won't stand up to normal wear and tear or even a few hours of intense typing. Experimenting with the application may make this last longer - perhaps not putting the Elmer's all the way to the edges so that your top coat would really seal in your manicure?

I looked up some more information about Elmer's Glue-All (found here) and according to Elmer's, there is "no information on significant adverse effects" for skin. But please keep in mind that Elmer's glue was not designed to be used as a nail polish base coat. Please use judgement and don't use Elmer's glue as a base coat if you are allergic to it.

Here's another review of this method!

30 comments:

  1. Too cool! Did you put a top coat over the glitter nail polish? I wonder if that would make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't use a top coat, I think some of the other bloggers who tried this out may have.

      Delete
  2. What an awesome idea. So simple and I never would of thought of it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is so simply! I never would have either!

      Delete
  3. oo interesting concept, would never have thought to do this. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big thanks to Lab Muffin for figuring this out :)

      Delete
  4. this is awesome! going to def try this! i hope the top coat helps it last for at least a couple of days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Hope it holds up for you, I haven't done a wear test yet so I'd love to hear how it goes!

      Delete
  5. I think it's really cool, and I'll be trying this myself as soon as I got my hands on the glue :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elmer's is super easy to find, you should be up and running in no time!

      Delete
  6. I'm very curious about what happens if to take a shower, wash your hands, etc... Have you tried it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo you know one of the other reviews I read mentioned not getting their hands wet because glue dissolves in water. I haven't tried wearing this for longer than this review!

      Delete
    2. It's only in the first three hours after you apply it that your hands can't get wet. After that you're safe to shower, wash your hands, do dishes, etc.

      Delete
    3. Thanks for sharing! That's great to hear!

      Delete
  7. Does this really work? You have to scrub really hard to get it off?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part is you DON'T need to scrub hard to remove it! I'd say it's a success, although I'm not sure how long it will last without chipping.

      Delete
  8. Alanna at Pretty Purple Polish did a 4 or 5 day wear test using the glue as a basecoat on one hand and traditional basecoat on the other hand and they both held up without chipping for the duration! She also has a great FAQ about this on the same post.

    I hate removing polish, all polish, not just glitter - so when I first read about this I was sooo flippin' excited!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I'll have to check that out! I saw her initial review but didn't read the wear test yet.

      Me too, I was super excited I could hardly wait to try this out :)

      Delete
  9. I've actually tried such a base coat but it never hit me it was just... glue :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I don't think I would have either if I didn't read it on Lab Muffin's blog! But really... it seems to be just glue :)

      Delete
  10. Oh oh oh (santa's laugh!) XD
    You're too forward! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try it out, I'd love to read what you think!

      Delete
    2. I'll surely waste my time putting the glue on my hand palms like a little girl!!!! X°D

      Delete
  11. It looks super cool & easy but I have a feeling that it may not last long, looks like it can chip very easily! Still worth a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the other gals said it held up well!

      Delete
  12. I really liked the step-by-step collage you made, so I included a link to your post from my own, hope you don't mind!
    http://elle-hime.blogspot.com/2012/11/peel-off-aqua-base-coat-my-diy-tips.html
    Thanks! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rochelle, thanks for the shout out! Glad you found this useful! I actually am going to write a follow up post very soon about my wear test, stay tuned :)

      Delete
  13. Tried this for the first time this week and it really works. The glitter nail polish lasts just as long through everything I do from typing to washing dishes as it did without Elmer's. I think the Elmer's actually kept the nail polish from chipping. Another cool thing about Elmer's is it seems to act as a natural ridge filler too. Another thing it might do is keep the glitter nail polish from coming into so much contact with your nailbed, which might be a good thing since nail polish is probably kinda toxic over time. Elmer's is a pretty simple product with few ingredients and not very toxic, so most people wouldn't have a bad reaction to it, I don't think.

    Very exciting solution to an annoying problem with no bad side effects or consequences that I can determine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO great to hear you tried it and you had great results! I did a wear test a while ago that I still need to post about...

      Delete