Saturday, May 5, 2012

GAP Gold Rush is Duochrome-licious

 

Happy Weekend! What are you up to? It's kind of overcast here and since the boyfriend is riding in the 5 Borough Bike Tour tomorrow, we're having a relaxing day in.

Did you know GAP is selling nail polish again? Next time you stop by, look for little squarish bottles either by the counter or in clear round containers placed around the store. While there are lots of creme shades, there is one polish that stands out and will basically blow your mind.

Gold Rush is essentially a dupe for Chanel Peridot in all regards except for price. It was Carly's review on Lacquered Lover that convinced me I needed this polish in my life!



The shift from golden orange to cool cobalt reminds me of "thermochromism: the property of substances to change color due to a change in temperature" (source: wikipedia.org) I just learned that word, but you know the concept. Like a mood ring. Or, this.




Goose from Goose's Glitter photographs her duochrome polishes underwater, so I thought I'd give it a try :) Don't you just love how the duochrome pops in the water?

 


Gold Rush wore well - for me, that was (3) good days with no chipping and very minimal tip wear. If I wasn't itching to try out my new Layla holo I would have kept it on for longer ;) The finish is somewhat of a cross between a chrome and a foil and brush strokes were not an issue. I used (2) coats.

If you're interested in seeing how Gold Rush compares to Chanel Peridot and others, check out Carly's post: http://www.lacqueredlover.com/2012/04/battle-of-chanel-peridot-dupes.html

GAP polishes can be purchased at the GAP for $6. You probably already know where your closest GAP is, but I will tell you that Gold Rush was sold out at the 59th & Lex and 23rd & 8th locations (although it might be worth seeing if they'll sell you the tester bottle if this shade is calling to you). I found this at 54th & 5th. Alternatively, look for OPI Just Spotted the Lizard.

This reminds me, few "vintage" GAP polishes I should show you sometime...

Keep reading for more duochrome goodness!



 


In low lighting, Gold Rush takes on a deep bronze tone. Looks like a completely different polish!


Gold Rush is a very reflective polish. Be careful to not look at your nail in direct sunlight ;)

Ahhh my eyes!!!

57 comments:

  1. Oooh wow! This is amazing! Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I have ten billion pictures of it, too lol

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Isn't it amazing how the color comes out in the water?

      Delete
  4. OMG I NEED that!! At first I was like, it's doesn't look that special, then I scrolled down, and BAM~ -=D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this! I was going to buy OPI's dupe, but this one is cheaper and perhaps a bit prettier! Thanks for this lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi thanks for stopping by! Yep, it is slightly less :) But the OPI would be a lovely alternative if you can't track this one down.

      Delete
  6. Stunning, I love the way the colour shift is really strong in your pics x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took sooo many pictures to capture all the colors :) I have lots more that didn't "make it" lol

      Delete
  7. Wow amazing and what a great price! The pictures underwater are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to reswatch all my duochromes underwater now, it's really amazing how the water brings out all the colors!

      Delete
  8. okay thats it I will be stopping by Gap today! love those underwater shots!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. Hi euzefelus, thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. I love the underwater shot! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need a bigger bowl, though... ;)

      Delete
  11. KJNWFKHAWEFLKAM!!! That's so pretty@!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. It's one of those "distracting" polishes lol

      Delete
  13. This colour looks perfect on you <3 I loooove it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elsa thanks! I think you would totally rock this polish too!

      Delete
  14. since when does GAP have polish??! lol i'm all about finding a good Chanel dupe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha my thoughts exactly! A few months perhaps?

      Delete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Replies
    1. How duochrome works completely baffles me :)

      Delete
  17. This is absolutely gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may not be original, but it's wonderful none the less :)

      Delete
  18. Wow, this is super pretty. I may need to go stalk the Gap now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe took me 3 tried before I could find it!

      Delete
  19. Omg I never knew Gap sold nail polishes, but I want this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you pick up any of the others! Would love to see some more swatches!

      Delete
  20. OH WOW!! NEED NEED NEED NEED NEED this in my life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For $6 this is a pretty cheap need!!! And the good news is, there's always the OPI if you can't find it :)

      Delete
  21. Love the water pics! Great swatches:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lindsey! I think I need a bigger bowl of water next time :)

      Delete
  22. Replies
    1. The duochrome is really amazing in this one!

      Delete
  23. I had no idea that Gap made polishes. At least in France they don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't been to the GAP in a long time, but I think it's new this season.

      Delete
  24. I didn't know about Gap polishes either! This is gorgeous on you! May need to make a pit stop today to get one myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Happy to help another polish addict! Isn't this one amazing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I didn't go crazy over Peridot... but I think I was just fooling myself so I wouldn't buy another Chanel polish! I'm so thankful you found this one!

      Delete
  26. Nice shade. I brought my from Douglas. You can see my pictures here: http://lililalanailblog.blogspot.com/2012/02/douglas-fireworks.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep I'd say that's another dupe :) Thanks for sharing, I've never heard of that brand before.

      Delete
  27. Talk about an instant lemming! Now I just have to cross my fingers and hope that the one Gap store in Hong Kong actually sells it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news is there are a few dupes out there!!!

      Delete
  28. I LOVE this! I stopped by the Gap on Broadway and 8th Street, and I bought the last two!

    ReplyDelete