Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Essie's Mint Candy Apple is Spring in a Bottle

Lady Liberty is always in style

If I had to pick one polish in my collection that best represents spring in a bottle, Essie's Mint Candy Apple would have to be it. I adore the color and the name although I'm not sure what a Mint Candy Apple is or what it would taste like.

Mint Candy Apple debuted in Essie's 2009 winter collection "Sweet Time of Year". While I've seen swatches that do look more green, this is a pastel turquoise polish. It is exactly the same color as my toothpaste (which tastes like mint!) or the packaging of winter green gum.


The formula is nothing special - it's actually quite terrible. The texture reminds me white out (admit it. you used to paint your nails with white out in school!) and I always end up with some raggedy lines around my cuticles. The first coat goes on a mess and be careful with the second because you probably will create new bald spots. Yikes. But once it's on... gosh is this an amazing color. If anyone knows of a true dupe with a great consistency, please let me know and I will buy forty back-ups.

Mint Candy Apple is part of the permanent collection. In New York City, Essie can be purchased at many locations including Beauty 35, Bed Bath and Beyond, Cosmetic Market, and Duane Reade.

23 comments:

  1. Totally guilty of the wite out nails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha - the 'white out' factor is a good baseline!

      Delete
  2. One of my all time Faves by Essie..need to replace mine soon:)
    Sara xx http://beautifulworldoflennynb.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow really?! Your bottle got LOTS of love! :)

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous nalis! I love this color :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful colour!! Too bad it's chalky. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah the color makes the formula worth putting up with!

      Delete
  5. Well, I love this colour, and I wouldn't care about the formula if I had it :P I'm still looking for a dupe I can get here in Italy but I still haven't found one :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep my eyes open if I read about anything close!

      Delete
  6. The color is so pretty!

    http://www.sandra-thepuzzleofmylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weird my version of it works just fine! I actually used this as part of a skittles jelly sandwich post that I"ll put up tomorrow! It was my first time using it and it worked really well! I wonder if I have a different batch! It looks gorgeous on you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how wild! Did you get it recently? This bottle is from the original release (and it was just as poor then). Maybe they reformulated?

      Delete
  8. Toooo bad about that formula. It's beautiful on you though!


    Also, I have also imagined the taste of a mint candy apple.
    Unless it was a mint chocolate-covered apple, I don't imagine it would taste too good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is it similar to China Glaze For Audrey?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question. For Audrey is similar in color, but Mint Candy Apple has more white mixed in. Def not dupes :)

      Delete
    2. Great, thanks! I may need it then, it's so yummy looking - makes me want candy, haha!

      Delete
    3. Great, thanks! I may need it then, it's so yummy looking - makes me want candy, haha!

      Delete