Friday, April 27, 2012

Best of Both Worlds: Glitter Gradient Sandwich


While experimenting with the glitter gradient look, it hit me - why not a glitter gradient sandwich?


The recipe for this dreamy manicure is:
  • Start with an opaque, pigmented pastel (My pick: OPI Do You Lilac It?)
  • Dab on a chunky multi-colored glitter - details below! (My pick: Milani Gems)
  • Top with two coats of a sheer milky polish (My pick: OPI So Many Clowns... So Little Time)


When picking a polish for your base color, keep in mind that the sheer polish will lighten the color up.

Quick glitter gradient tutorial:
Tap the tip of a spongy eyeshadow applicator against your nail polish brush so that it picks up some glitter. Don't drench your sponge in polish. Starting at the top of your nail, dab the glitter on and move back toward your cuticle. You can go as far as you want - the glitter should thin out as you go. If you didn't get enough glitter on your sponge the first time, go back and add some more. Keep playing around until you're happy with how it looks!

I hope you try this look, there are so many possible variations! Do leave your link in the comments or send me a Tweet if you try it out :)

37 comments:

  1. What a great idea - and executed beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zara! I'm much better at haphazard glitter application than making straight lines ;)

      Delete
  2. This looks sooo good! It reminds me of cupcakes and sprinkles :] especially after you described it as a recipe! Haha :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is so gorgeous- the colors are surprisingly nice together! love this post

    Jordan xx
    - Boho Vanity Giveaway -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love the using a pastel for the base, but a brighter color would be fun, too.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous!! i have to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now I really need to try a glitter gradient sandwich! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love it! Will definitely try it one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to hear what colors you pick!

      Delete
  7. This is one of the prettiest sandwiches I've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an amazing idea! I love it so much <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you try it! Would love to see your take on this!

      Delete
  9. I love this look!!! Great color choices too!! I must try this soon. I know I'm probably late, but I love your new header.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks, the header is fairly new :) Hope to see you post this look!

      Delete
  10. I freaking love glitter sandwiches! I did one with an almost identical colour scheme last week (pastel purple + Milani Gems), but without the gradient. The gradient looks adorable, like raining sprinkles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How did I miss that?! I must go visit your blog! The pastel purple is so fun and Gems is my favorite, it really DOES look like raining sparkles :)

      Delete
    2. It's here: http://labmuffin.blogspot.com.au/2012/04/glitter-ice-cream-sandwich-candy-mani.html

      I'm going to do a glitter gradient tonight using a Q-tip, which will probably turn into a glitter gradient sandwich the next day, I'll tweet it at you :)

      Delete
    3. Oh I love how it turned out! Be careful with the Q-Tip that you don't get fuzzies... looking forward to seeing it :)

      Delete
  11. Wow I was totally thinking about doing this the other day! Good to know, it looks awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know if you try it, would love to see pictures!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks, Hayley! I'm happy to report this is super easy :)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks, Rie! I'd love to see your take on it!

      Delete
  14. Oh. My. Goodness. I read the title of this and thought, "Wat wat WAT?!" and you definitely did NOT disappoint. I just got Wet 'n Wild - Party of Five Glitters finally, and absolutely want to try this out with it. Fantastic idea. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yep, the title says it all! Party of Five glitters would be PERFECT for this kind of look! Thanks for stopping by Gotham Polish :)

      Delete
  15. Great idea!!!
    I noticed that I´m not used to wear plain colors anymore... and I can blame the 31 Nail Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha the 31 day challenge would do that to you ;)

      Delete