Monday, March 5, 2012

China Glaze Hunger Games Nail Polish: Stone Cold


"With THE HUNGER GAMES about to begin, Capitol citizens can show their support for their chosen district through China Glaze®’s exclusive Capitol Colours nail polish collection. The collection combines rich crèmes, soft shimmers and bold glitters to create the limited edition 12 shade nail polish collection inspired by the most anticipated movie release of the year."

In Panem, District 2 specializes in mining and stone cutting. District 2 is also where Peacekeepers are trained and weapons are manufactured, but most importantly District 2 is home to "The Nut" - a large mountain used to house the military and hovercrafts.

From the China Glaze Capitol Colors collection, Stone Cold is a striking matte grey polish with silver flecks of shimmer. Stone Cold dries to a smooth, matte finish but the most impressive feature of this polish is that you only need one coat. On Gotham Polish, I often say a polish is "almost one coat but I used two". Stone Cold seriously is a one-coater by my standards, as in, I would use one coat and not need a second to make it look better.


Like a reversible bag, this is one product with two looks. Add a top coat and Stone Cold comes alive - the grey becomes deeper and the silver shines even brighter.

Stone Cold with China Glaze Fast Forward Top Coat 

The downside of the one-coated-ness is that Stone Cold starts to wear away after only one day. My boyfriend asked "what's up with that", and I told him that it's due in part to the fact that you don't use a top coat with a matte nail polish... to which he replied "what about a matte top coat"?

Well ladies? Has anyone tried it? Does using a matte top coat over a matte nail polish extend its life?

In New York City, the best chance of finding the latest China Glaze collection is at Ulta in Rego Park or Sally Beauty in Brooklyn, Queens, or Staten Island. Click here for a list of China Glaze retailers in NYC.

Product(s) in this post were provided for review. Read my disclosure policy here.

34 comments:

  1. This is a pretty color!! I'm not a matte fan though, so I don't have an answer to your question. I usually put a regular top coat over it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the wear is just intrinsic to matte polish :/

      Delete
  2. I haven't tried putting matte top coat directly on matte polish. What I usually do is apply Seche Vite and then the matte top coat. It does improve longevity, but never looks as nice as just the matte polish by itself.
    What might also help a little is layering polish/favourite top coat/polish. If the top layer wears off at least it wouldn't be the bare nail showing (haven't actually tried that, though, just an idea).

    That being said, the colour is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm seems like it SHOULD work! Although all that layering might cause some extra chipping... I like your thinking though :)

      Delete
  3. Woah, that matte is fab! Did you find that in NYC somewhere or was it a blogger sample?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was provided for review - I've updated the post with my disclosure statement :)

      Delete
  4. I'm wearing this right now. After I photo it as a matte, I'm going to put Luxe and Lush over it. I tested it out on a finger and it's really cool. :) However, your nails make it look so totally awesome!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agro is a great one coater too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I actually put that one on after, you're right it totally is!

      Delete
  6. I just ordered half the set this weekend, I can't wait for them to get here! This swatch makes me glad I ordered "Stone Cold"after all (I was on the fence).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! I think you'll be very pleased :)

      Delete
  7. oo I love this - I'm going to hunt of the polish in Queens and see if I can find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to the press release, this collection will be available in early March so hopefully you should start seeing it soon! I'd recommend the Ulta in Rego Park!

      Delete
  8. This is really nice... I have Zoya Dovima and didn't think I needed another black/grey matte, but you make it look so lovely! And good at one coat- really impressive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'd love to see a comparison of Dovima and Stone Cold!

      Delete
  9. Really lovely polish, it is on my wishlist too. I haven't tried using matte top coat on top of matte nail polish, because I like the look of the nail polish by itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I might have to test in out and report back!

      Delete
  10. I can't wait for this collection to hit the shelves in the Netherlands. I'm more than excited for some of the colors. The Hunger Games are so awesome.

    secondhandspring

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that China Glaze made a collection for this movie and that it TOTALLY ROCKS!!!

      Delete
  11. Maybe if you sandwich it? Matte polish, regular shiny topcoat, then matte polish. I haven't tried this though, as I don't use mattes often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally something to think about! I might need to try a few methods out and report back :)

      Delete
  12. I went to Beauty 35 over the weekend to get some China Glaze polishes and they don't sell them there anymore! I was very disappointed to say the least, so you may want to update your list.

    Also, I find that when using a matte topcoat over a matte polish, the matte never looks as nice as it does when it dries originally, so we may just have to deal with the one day only wear!

    Keep posting, love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh so sad about Beauty 35, thank you for letting me know! I'm going to update my posts and info :(

      Interesting that matte top coat makes the polish look no-so-great, I had no idea!

      Delete
  13. I did not pick up this shade from the collection. It looked too much like other things I had - in fact none of the deep colors came home with me...but I am in love with Riviting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is the most random place, but Hot Topic in my area is selling the entire line of polish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha WHAT?! That is super random. And super awesome.

      Delete
  15. Someone tried doing the following for holo polishes, I wonder if it would work for matte ones too? Use a base coat, 1 coat of the holo (in this case, matte) polish, then a top coat, then a follow up coat of the holo (matte) polish. I may have to try it this weekend as my bottle of Stone Cold should arrive today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to hear how it goes! That sure is creative :)

      Delete
  16. I just realized that when I got a new e-mail address I didn't add that to receive your posts; so now I'm doing some major catch-up. Anyway, this is definitely one of my faves from the collection and it truly is a one coater. When I wore it I did an accent nail with top coat because it looks so pretty both ways.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebecca! So happy to hear from you! Wearing the accent nail with a top coat is SUCH a great idea :)

      Delete
  17. I used two coasts + a matte top coat and could barley get it off with remover. Worked like a charm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really?! That's awesome, thanks for sharing! I was actually thinking about wearing this polish again today :)

      Delete