Sunday, January 29, 2012

To Buy or Not To Buy: Essie "To Buy or Not To Buy"

The New York Stock Exchange, where "to buy or not to buy" is a big decision

Essie's Spring 2012 collection Navigate Her proclaims the "self-made woman knows what she wants and exactly how to get it". From the spring collection, To Buy or Not To Buy is a great name for a polish. How often do you go to the store and hold a polish in your hand... roll it around... hold it up to the light... think "do I have anything else like it"... before deciding to buy it or leave it?

That's exactly what I did when I found To Buy or Not to Buy last week at Cosmetic Market. I was pretty convinced I didn't need this pastel purple but then I saw the sparse blue duochrome shimmer (which is undoubtedly the same shimmer used in Pink-a-Boo) and decided it had to come home with me.

To Buy or Not to Buy is a pastel pinky-lilac cream. The formula was slightly streaky and challenging to work with, so I would suggest using 3 thin coats. Unfortunately, the shimmer in the bottle is virtually undetectable on the nail.


To Buy or Not To Buy looks pinker compared to Essie's cool toned pastel purple Lilacism.

Pointer and ring fingers: Lilacism
Middle and pinky fingers: To Buy or Not to Buy

There is quite the selection of pastel purple polishes out there - I'd love to see how To Buy or Not to Buy compares to Essie's other pastel purples such as St. Lucia Lilac or Nice Is Nice. China Glaze Light as Air, OPI Steady as She Rose, and Zoya Marley might also be similar.

The beautiful shimmer looks so promising in the bottle but unfortunately is hardly visible on the nail. If you are in love with the blue duochrome shimmer, I'd recommend tracking down OPI I Juggle... Men. The same shimmer is suspended in clear polish and you can apply it over any color.


Adding one coat of OPI I Juggle... Men gives To Buy or Not To Buy the shimmer seen in the bottle.



Despite the fact that To Buy or Not to Buy's formula is less than perfect and the beautiful shimmer in the bottle disappears on the nail, I don't own a dupe for this color and think it makes a lovely addition to my collection of spring pastels.

Essie's Navigate Her collection is available in February. In New York City, Essie can be purchased at many locations including Beauty 35, Bed Bath and Beyond, Cosmetic Market, and Duane Reade.

19 comments:

  1. This looks really pretty!! I can definitely identify with the experience of holding a polish and trying to figure out if I really want to purchase it or not. Thanks for sharing ;0).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yep, and all those thoughts that go through your head!

      Delete
  2. I'm so disappointed that the shimmer doesn't come through. It's a pretty color, but sort of bland without the shimmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shimmer would have made this shade stand out, I feel like the intent was there :)

      Delete
  3. I hate when I fall for a shimmer then it doesn't even bother to show up for our date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great colour :D
    http://katarinasday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me think spring isn't to far away... but it's still January :/

      Delete
  5. Oooooh I wonder if this is a dupe for any of the China Glaze Electropop or OPI Holland! It looks a bit similar to one of the electropop but I'm not sure! I may have to invest in this to find out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I saw a pale purple in Holland, but Electropop might have one.

      Delete
    2. You're right! I was thinking of the pale pink in the Holland!

      Delete
  6. I love Essie's pale/pastel colors but they all seem to be streaky to me! (Or maybe I'm just incompetent at applying nail polish... :P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's probably not *all* you ;) I have a few Essie pastels that are streaky. Cocktail Bling was AMAZING and while To Buy Or Not To Buy isn't quite as amazing, it is better than some of the older ones.

      Delete
  7. I was a little disappointed that the delicately complex shimmer you see in the bottle doesn't exactly translate as clearly on the nails, but it does add quite a bit of depth just the same. Great idea to layer I Juggle Men on top....really adds that little zing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eugenia! "I Juggle Men" totally makes it look like it appears in the bottle :) I'm excited to "shimmer-ize" my other pastel Essies now!

      Delete
  8. i've been eyeing this one. it's so pretty. and i am sad i never got opi juggle men. such a pretty shimmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be able to track it down online somewhere! I've even seen it in some beauty supply stores.

      Delete
  9. Is I Juggle Men similar to Orly Love Each Other? Seems like they may be, but I don't know for certain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Orly Love Each Other, but from what I could see online, the shimmer in Love Each Other looks finer. What a lovely shade it is and it would totally help enhance the shimmer!

      Delete