Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Award your Nails with Duri's Red Carpet Collection



It's awards season! Celebrities will be walking the red carpets looking fantastic (or in some cases, not so fantastic) and if you're like me, you'll be checking out what's on their nails. Wouldn't it be great if in addition to "who are you wearing" the interviewer asked "what nail polish did you choose tonight"?!

Just in time for awards season is Brooklyn based Duri's Red Carpet collection. This expansive nine piece collection has polishes in every category - from the classic, to flashy, to cutting edge, there's a polish for everyone.

What would a red carpet collection be without a stunning red? The velvety red cream "VIP Lounge" screams Hollywood glamour. The formula was a tad watery (you can see the pooling in my pointer finger cuticle) and I needed three coats. But the shine was fantastic! You can see my lamp so clearly reflected in the polish, and I didn't use a top coat!


"Behind the Scene" (the press release name is "Behind the Scenes") is a deep eggplant cream and has the same formula and fabulous shine as "Behind the Scene". I thought Essie's "Carry On" would be a dupe, however "Carry On" looks more burgundy next to "Behind the Scene".


Duri describes "Limo Ride" as a copper shimmer but I'd say it's more of a frosty-melon-chrome. What kind of finish would you say this is? While it might officially be a "frost", "Limo Ride" didn't leave funny brush strokes typically associated with "frost" finishes. The final look was sleek like a shiny new car (is that a weird way to describe polish?) and it was almost perfect in one coat. While I was blown away with the quality of "Limo Ride", the melon shade wasn't the best for my skin tone.


"Tabloid Rumors" is a graphite shimmer the exact color of a pencil (you know, when you turn it on an angle and shade something in?) I have a few neutral greys, but none that have a silvery shimmer like "Tabloid Rumors".


"Celebrity Scandal" is a bright white silver foil. I love silver foil polishes for stamping and look forward to trying this one out. The formula was great and the polish was easy to control.


"Paparazzi" is a perfectly jewel-toned emerald green - it's slightly less blue and a tad darker than the photo below. I can imagine a stunning red carpet dress inspired by this shade! The formula was fantastic and I only needed two coats. Do be careful of staining when removing this color.


"Addicted to Fame" is a fiery, metallic tangerine nail polish. In the bottle, it looks frosty but on the nail, it comes alive! Just like "Limo Ride", there were no dreaded brush strokes and again I'm left wondering if it's a frost or a chrome. Three coats made it perfect.


I can't help but wonder what Joan Rivers would have to say about the glistening cornflower blue polish "Fashion Police". While this is the sheerest polish in the collection, it isn't watery and is easy to control. "Fashion Polish" reminds me of pictures I've seen of China Glaze "Blue Island Iced Tea". Below, I used three coats.


"Oscar Party" was the big surprise - at first, I saw only a bright shimmery grass green nail polish. But then as I took "Oscar Party" out of the box, I saw it. The way the light was throwing off glowing orange embers. Duri has given us a green/orange duochrome!



There really is a color for everyone in the "Red Carpet" collection. I was a tad disappointed there wasn't a fabulous gold foil - it could have been called "Envelope, Please"! :)

Duri polishes are $5.00. I've seen Duri at Optima Beauty Supply on 22 John Street in downtown Manhattan. As Duri is a Brooklyn-based brand, I was told they are available at many Brooklyn beauty supply stores!

Duri polishes are used at the following salons in NYC:

Avalon
112 Christopher Street, 212-337-1966

Fifi Salon
47 West 57th Street, 212-581-6430

Gideon's Nails
1385 Broadway, 646-404-2186

Lia Schorr Skin Care
686 Lexington Avenue, 212-486-9670

Soho Sanctuary
119 Mercer Street, 212-334-5550

You can also shop online: www.duri.com. All Duri nail products are completely safe, environmentally-friendly and free from DBP, TOLUENE and FORMALDEHYDE.

Product(s) in this post were provided for review. Read my disclosure policy here.

13 comments:

  1. Pretty colors! I think I like Paprazzi and Fashion Police the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty. I Paparazzi and Addicted to Fame!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, ooo I love those too!!!
    Hayley, isn't it stunning?! It's so summery!
    Fashion Footing, not only are they beautiful, they apply so well too!
    Deborah, another vote for Paparazzi! I like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that green one looks amazing on you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am loving that eggplant one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you soooooo much for the where to find Duri info! Online swatches only go so far. On my next trip to NYC I'm definitely stopping by one or more of these salons!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kay, thanks! Those kinds of greens are tricky to photograph!
    Fingers, omg it's sooo shiny and gorgeous
    J Haney, you're welcome! The only store I can confirm sells Duri is Optima Beauty Supply. I would recommend giving the salons a call to find out if they sell polish before visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look AMAZING!!! Thanks for sharing. Have to get my hands on some of these.

    ReplyDelete
  9. MariJo, they really are fabulous, I think you'll be pleased :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to give Duri polishes a try. I think I saw them at Beauty35 before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, thanks for sharing! I should visit again and check out Beauty 35's supply :)

      Delete