Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Duri's New Twilight Inspired Polishes Want Your Love Forever

About three things I was absolutely positive.
First, Duri is a Brooklyn-based nail polish brand.
Second, there is a part of Duri, and I didn't know how dominant that part might be, that thirsts for a spot in my Helmer.
And third, I am unconditionally and irrevocably in love with Duri's new Twilight-inspired polishes.

With the movie release of "Breaking Dawn: Part 1" right around the corner, what better way to celebrate than by wearing some Twilight-inspired polishes on your nails! Brooklyn-based nail polish company Duri created three colors that beautifully capture the feeling and characters of the "Twilight" series. Seeing these three polishes together even reminds me of the book covers :)

"From Dusk Till Dawn" is the polish inspired by Bella Swan. This my favorite color of the collection and I really think it's the perfect Bella color. While Bella might not wear nail polish herself, she certainly can inspire a color. Duri describes "From Dusk Till Dawn" as "a deep and complex hue embodying Bella's inner confliction that combines dark fuchsia and a creamy texture with a semi-sheer finish". I didn't find this to be a sheer polish at all - "From Dusk Till Dawn" applied fantastic and was opaque in two coats.


What I love about "From Dusk Till Dawn" is that it transforms from a rich, brownish red to almost a berry plum depending on the lighting. I've actually been looking for this kind of nail polish color for quite some time and have accumulated many polishes I was hoping would be this shade but aren't. I giggled when I read Kari's review of this shade on her blog Once Bitten because she totally was thinking the same thing :) Congrats to Duri for creating such a complex shade!

Team Jacob will rally behind "Black Diamond". Duri describes this polish as "a black polish with a silver luster". While there is a tiny bit of silver shimmer in the bottle, it isn't outwardly noticeable on the nail, but it does contribute to the shine and depth of this polish. I used two coats of "Black Diamond" and am very pleased with how intense this black is!


Duri describes Edward Cullen's polish "Moonlight Glow" as "a glistening white with a hint of blue shimmer". Although using "Moon" in the name had me convinced this was Jacob's shade, it's fitting for Edward because of the cool, marble body author Stephanie Meyer describes him having. This polish reminds me of a very old and watery drugstore polish (that I might still have...), except that "Moonlight Glow" has a great formula and even coverage. 

Worn alone, "Moonlight Glow" is sheer, subtle and leaves your nails with a pearly blue glow. I wore three coats below.


While "Moonlight Glow" alone may be tame, adding only one coat over the polish of your choice is where this polish shines. Here is "Moonlight Glow" over "From Dusk Till Dawn" (yep, Edward + Bella). You can see here how even "Moonlight Glow" applies. This combination is excellent!



"Moonlight Glow" over "Black Diamond" creates a completely new shade. This combination looks like a glowing, metallic cobalt. "Moonlight Glow" does it's job so well here that I don't think I would have identified this manicure as a layering combo!



Duri's Twilight-themed collection is a big win - "From Dusk Till Dawn" is the color I've been searching for, "Black Diamond" is a rich black with a great formula, and "Moonlight Glow" opens the door for fantastic layering combinations. Also... I've said it before, but I really love small collections. I also love themed collections :)

Duri polishes are $5.00. I've seen Duri at Optima Beauty Supply on 22 John Street in downtown Manhattan. As Duri is a Brooklyn-based brand, I was told they are available at many Brooklyn beauty supply stores! I did a quick Google search for 'beauty supply store Brooklyn' and was SO excited with what I found... I can't wait to go exploring!

Duri polishes are used at the following salons in NYC:

Avalon
112 Christopher Street, 212-337-1966

Fifi Salon
47 West 57th Street, 212-581-6430

Gideon's Nails
1385 Broadway, 646-404-2186

Lia Schorr Skin Care
686 Lexington Avenue, 212-486-9670

Soho Sanctuary
119 Mercer Street, 212-334-5550

You can also shop online: www.duri.com. All Duri nail products are completely safe, environmentally-friendly and free from DBP, TOLUENE and FORMALDEHYDE.

Product(s) in this post were provided for review. Read my disclosure policy here.

8 comments:

  1. gasp!! love the 3 all! specially when you combine them together!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look really good. I especially like Moonlight Glow

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Moonlight Glow'.....is so surreal; I love polishes t'hat are both subtle and edgy like that, without being over the top! Over From Dusk Til Dawn', it looks almost alien-like, and on you, they all look AMAZING!!! Love these swatches...thanks girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. chell, yah they were MADE for each other lol!!
    Kristal, for what might be considered a "sheer" polish, it sure packs a punch :)
    Eugenia, yes it's crazy how it can be subtle AND intense depending on how it's used! I like "Alien-like" :) Glad you like the swatches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. cutest post evar! I love these polishes not just cuz of twilight, they are so beautiful the twilight part is just a bonus! I wish I wasnt on a no buy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. beauxs mom, thanks! They are great, hopefully Duri will have them around long after your no buy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently found a display of Duri at Metro Drugs, 7 West 14th, between Fifth and Sixth, but closer to Fifth. Not sure if it's a long term thing, but they tend to get pretty good collections and dusties.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the tip Amanda! I'll totally add this to the map!

    ReplyDelete