Thursday, June 2, 2011

Top 5 Summer 2011 Nail Trends and NYC Events

Top 5 Polishes

The summer season is off to a terrific (and hot) start! Sweaters and wool pants are swapped out for bright short sleeved tops and cotton skirts. There's also a similar change-over of sorts in my nail polish drawer. While there are no rules in nail polish land, I've selected five colors that (in my opinion) are fabulous summer picks, shared a picture of each trend from my stash, and linked to fellow bloggers for you to see some other options!

Gotham Polish's Top 5 Summer 2011 Nail Trends:

#5 Warm Neons
Last summer, bright turquoise and purples were all the rage. Summer 2011 is for hot corals, hot oranges, and hot reds! Warm neon polishes take the #5 spot.

American Apparel Neon Red window
American Apparel "Neon Red"

Imperfectly Painted: China Glaze "Pool Party"
Pampered and Polished: Zoya "Paz"
Polished Beauty Blog: Orly "Passion Fruit"

#4 Holographic Nudes
Nudes are back in style for summer, but also in high demand are holographic polishes (seemingly more than ever). Combining these two popular trends, I'm giving spot #4 to all the holographic nudes in the world.

Goldie Nude Holo
An unnamed nude holo by Goldie

My Lucid Bubble: various (don't miss this - she covers them all!)
Nail Spotting: Color Club "Love 'Em Leave 'Em"


#3 Dusty Sea-Foam Greens
Mint green, watch out because there's a new "it green" in town - the murky, dusty, sea-foamy green! In the last few months there has been a blitz of shades in this color family. Because this is a fresh new color that washed up right out of the sea, it earns spot #3.

Essie Absolutely Shore
Essie "Absolutely Shore"

Musings from Manhattan: Essie "Da Bush"
Nailstah: Rescue Beauty "Diddy Mow"
Past, Present, Future: OPI "Mermaid's Tears"

#2 Shatter/Crackle/Fracture/Smashing/Iceberg Top Coats
Love it or hate it, this is the latest trend right now in the nail polish world. With so many color options to chose from, and then an infinite number of possible color pairings, this is a trend that anyone could make work. The crackle/shatter/all-other-synonyms-for-crackle-and-shatter look is the #2 summer trend!

Pure Energy shatter

Fashion Polish: Sam gives us an overview of all options out there
Lovely in Lacquer: OPI "Silver Shatter" over OPI "Cuckoo for this Color"
Never Unpolished: Lava Nails using OPI Black Shatter

#1 Bright Orangey-Reds
I'm seeing gals sporting orangey-red polish everywhere I go. Classy and chic, the orangey-red color is attention grabbing and edgy. Since the weather has been worn, I have seen this color around New York City without fail every day :) I'm going with bright orangey-red polishes as the #1 summer 2011 trend.

Sephora by OPI Already Famous
Sephora by OPI "Fiercely Fabulous"

Getcha Nails Did: Ruby Kisses "Fuzzy Navel"
Ommorphia Beauty Bar: Deborah Lippmann "Lara's Theme"
Rikki Nails: Essie "Meet Me at Sunset"

And now in no particular order, here are my top 5 summer event picks in New York City - and they are all free to attend!

Veuve Clicquot Polo Classic
June 5, 2011 on Govenor’s Island
Bring your sunblock and hop on the ferry to see ponies and fancy dresses!

Macy's 4th of July Fireworks
July 4th, 9PM over the Hudson River
While impressive on TV, nothing tops seeing these fireworks in person.

NY Philharmonic Concert in Central Park
Dates to be announced
While the lawn is full and you're blanket-to-blanket like Jones Beach in July, the way thousands of New Yorkers in the middle of Manhattan become quiet for a concert is an incredible experience.

Summer Streets
August 6th, 13th, and 20th on Park Ave from the Brooklyn Bridge to Central Park
Park Ave is closed to cars and becomes one giant block party. Take a walk or ride your bike during Summer Streets - it's a really unique trip!

Bryant Park Summer Film Festival
Catch a movie on the lawn ("Airplane!" and "Dirty Harry" are among the picks this year) and enjoy a lovely NYC summer night outside.

10 comments:

  1. Great post! I'm loving all the trends this summer, and I need to find AA Neon Red badly! NY Philharmonic in Central Park sounds amazing. I'd love to go to event like that. Thanks for the blog mention! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite of the trends has to be the crackles/shatters!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun post! I vote you do one for every season from now on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the neons, but I can't wear the warm ones since they make me look jaundice (problem being cool toned skin with warm colors). But this post really makes me want Zoya Sooki soo much right now because of the red!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving neons, crackles and holo nudes! Literally the last three colors I've had on have been those lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this post and I agree with ChaosButterfly - you should do this every season! Following. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea for a post! Thanks for the shout-out...appreciate it! Your visuals are so unique....I absolutely LOVE them!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're welcome Stephanie! I hope the NY Phil posts a date soon... *crosses fingers*
    Vijii, yah so many options with the crackles there's something for everyone
    ChaosButterfly and A Polished Touch, thanks! I think I can do that!
    Amanda, I love how there are reds for all skin tones!
    NotesandNails, good picks :)
    Ommorphia, you're welcome! I have a lot of fun making the pictures and am happy to hear you like them!
    Thanks, mrsrexy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holo nudes--I love it! It gives a different twist to the same old trends.

    ReplyDelete